ASOS expands Face + Body range as viral trends and products drive demand
- Clean Girl trend on TikTok fuels demand for multi-tasking products and sales of The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution increase by over 130% YoY after going viral.
- Face + Body range expanding beyond 200 brands, with MALIN+GOETZ, drybar and The Beauty Crop launching on ASOS in April and May.
- Experiential pop-up featuring interactive sample vending machine to visit Liverpool, London and Manchester this week.
London, Thursday, 23 March 2023 – Viral TikTok trends are driving demand among 20-somethings for certain Face + Body ranges and specific products according to data from ASOS. The #cleangirlaesthetic hashtag (encapsulated by dewy skin, rosy cheeks and minimalist makeup) has had 2.9 billion views on TikTok and made lip oils and products that can be used for multi-tasking, such as blushers, a huge trend. ASOS has seen a sales of cream blushes grow by over 600% in the last 6 months.
The ‘TikTok effect’ is also dramatically fuelling demand for individual products. Sales of The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution are up 130% year-on-year in the last six months after the product went viral last year.
A survey of 2,000 UK adults conducted in December found that 69% of 20-somethings think it’s important to protect spending on cosmetics and toiletries even when times are tough. Makeup is ASOS’ fastest-growing category the last 6 months, with one product sold every 4 seconds.
To respond to demand, ASOS has added 18 new Face + Body brands in the last six months. By the end of May over 210 brands will be available following a series of new brand launches in April and May, including:
- MALIN+GOETZ - guided by the philosophy of less, but better, their mission is to design high quality, easy-to-use skincare for face, body + hair, fragrances and candles that fit into your modern lifestyle. Born in New York city in 2004, the diversity, inclusivity + energy of city living is what has inspired MALIN+GOETZ from the very beginning. All products are cruelty-free, and designed for every skin type, tone and gender. Available at ASOS from next month.
- Megababe - Cult US body care brand Megababe provides solutions to inspire confidence by tackling everyday 'taboo' body issues. With problem solving products such as its best-selling Thigh Rescue and Rosy Pits deodorant, it is all about innovation. 15 products will be available on ASOS from May.
- The Beauty Crop - a TikTok viral British brand creating products where skincare meets makeup. Their formulations include natural oils and plant-based extracts that nurture skin whilst delivering intense colour technology. ASOS will launch the brand worldwide with 27 product options.
Bernadette Sullivan, Face + Body Director at ASOS said: “Self-care is more important than ever for our 20-something customers, who we know want to protect their spending on Face + Body and fashion even when times are tough. That’s why we’re excited to be adding more leading brands to our platform as we continue to grow our Face + Body offer, so our customers know they can find everything they need at ASOS for every moment in their life.”
ASOS will hit the road to highlight its expanding Face + Body range with experiential pop-ups visiting Liverpool, London, and Manchester.
Visitors to the pop-ups will be able to use an interactive vending machine to get free product samples tailored to their needs and interests. The event is being supported by nine of the top Face + Body brands sold by ASOS - Harry’s, L’Oreal Paris Elvive, NYX, Olaplex, Sunday Riley, The Ordinary, thisworks, Too Faced and Urban Decay.
Shoppers wanting to get their hands on these specially curated samples should head to the following leading shopping locations from 10am-6pm:
- Manchester – Friday, 24 March at the Arndale Centre
- Liverpool – Saturday, 25 March at Liverpool One, Paradise Street
- London – Sunday, 26 March at Old Truman Brewery, Ely's Yard
ASOS began selling beauty and grooming products in 2004 and rebranded the category to Face + Body in 2017. Today, ASOS is the go-to destination for 20-somethings exploring the category in a fun, playful and radically inclusive way, with over 13,000 individual products from c.200 brands.
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
Research commissioned by ASOS and conducted by Opinium between 6-13 December 2022, of 2,000 UK adults surveyed aged 20-29
ASOS is a destination for fashion-loving 20-somethings around the world, with a purpose to give its customers the confidence to be whoever they want to be. Through its market-leading app and mobile/desktop web experience, available in ten languages and in over 200 markets, ASOS customers can shop a curated edit of nearly 70,000 products, sourced from nearly 900 of the best global and local partner brands and its mix of fashion-led own-brand labels – ASOS Design, ASOS Edition, ASOS 4505, Collusion, Reclaimed Vintage, Topshop, Topman, Miss Selfridge and HIIT. ASOS aims to give all its customers a truly frictionless experience, with an ever-greater number of different payment methods and hundreds of local deliveries and return options, including Next-Day Delivery and Same-Day Delivery, dispatched from state-of-the-art fulfilment centres in the UK, US and Germany.